Monday, November 2, 2009

Gender and Education







i really liked the mother of the twin 6 year old girls. I never thought of gender and sex as being different. I have a few friends the are pregnant and the first thing i ask is boy or girl. I feel that i associate girls with dresses and dolls, and boys with jeans and trucks. This clip made me see that, just because you are a girl, it does not mean you will be a girly girl. i also sometimes think that boys are easier to take care of. i don't think that there should be "boy" or "girl" toys, children should be able to play with any toys they want, without being judged. Children should also be able to dress how they want. Especially at a young age a teacher should not make a child feel embarrassed or ashamed.
More men are staying home with the children while the mothers are the "bread" winners. The rolls of men and women have changed over the years therefore boys and girls should know both rolls of a man and a women. There is a 5 year old boy at the place i work at and his mother buys him "boy" toys like trucks, action figures but she also lets him some to school with his baby doll Caroline. I like that this little boys parents let him play with dolls and bracelets and fire trucks and cars.
I also never realized that children as young as 2 or 3 know how they like to dress and act. Gender rolls are everywhere. Children see it in Disney movies and TV. Teachers how a days need to be open minded and encourage children to play with all they "toys"

2 comments:

  1. I think we all associate boys with stereotypical male attributes and girls with stereotypical female attributes. If there were a toddler boy in your family, would you think to buy him a shirt with flowers on it or baseballs? Thinking Christensenly, consider TV commercials for toys. If it's an Easy Bake Oven, a girl is playing with it. If it's a truck, a boy is playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of gender and sex as different until I took my core 3. I dont remember the name of the class, but it was taught by a professor in the women's studies department. It's interesting to think and talk about.

    ReplyDelete